Fellow Calgarians, we need your help.
When my colleagues on City Council and I make decisions, we look for guidance from our Boards, Commission and Committees (BCCs). And we now have some openings that need volunteers.
The citizens who volunteer on these BCCs bring important expertise and perspective that we is invaluable for us here at City Hall.
We are currently recruiting volunteers to serve on the various BCCs. Here are just a few that need filling:
- Audit Committee - Contribute to overseeing financial matters at The City and provide input into the decision making process at City Council.
- eGovernment Strategy Advisory Committee - Monitor and guide the overall vision, strategy, and program plan for eGovernment at the City of Calgary.
- Heritage Authority - Provide advice to City Council on all matters related to historic resources in the City, including the restoration, alteration, and demolition of sites in The City's heritage inventory.
- Saddledome Foundation - Contribute to the operation of the Scotiabank Saddledome for the benefit of amateur athletics, hockey development, and research.
- Public Art Board - Promote awareness of art in The City and act as a resource to City Council on all public art matters.
Late in the evening on Monday, May 6, Calgary City Council approved Council Priorities which will provide the necessary direction to administration to build their 2015 – 2018 business plans and budgets, Action Plan 2015 - 2018.
Council Priorities for 2015 – 2018 are very closely aligned to the top priority areas identified in the Action Plan citizen engagement in March. Council Priorities encompass five key themes:
- A prosperous city – Calgary continues to grow as a magnet for talent, a place where there is opportunity for all, and the best place in Canada to start and grow a business.
- A city of inspiring neighbourhoods – Every Calgarian lives in a safe, mixed and just neighbourhood, and has the opportunity to participate in civic life.
- A city that moves – People and goods can move well and safely throughout the city, using a variety of convenient, affordable, accessible and efficient transportation choices.
- A healthy and green city – We steward our air, land and water while encouraging healthy lifestyles for all Calgarians.
- A well-run city – Calgary's government is open, responsive, accountable and transparent, delivering excellent services at a fair price. We work with our government partners to ensure we have the tools we need.